Search
Wednesday 15 August 2018
  • :
  • :

ZongoNews Radio

ZONGONEWS EDITORIAL: Global Education – Internatioanal Migrant Destinations ( Part 52 )

“Managing migration is one of the most urgent and profound tests of international cooperation in our time. Migration is an engine of economic growth, innovation and sustainable development.
It allows millions of people to seek new opportunities each year, creating and strengthening bonds between countries and societies. Yet it is also a source of divisions within and between States and societies, often leaving migrants vulnerable to abuse and exploitation.” (Report of the United Nations Secretary-General, Making Migration Work for All 12 December 2017)
The recent ‘Making Migration Work for All’ report recognises that the global compact agreement will be a crucial factor in achieving Sustainable Development Goal 10, the reduction of inequality within and between member states. The report includes some interesting information regarding the financial contributions that migrants make to countries. “Financially, migrants, including irregular migrants, contribute by paying taxes and injecting around 85 per cent of their earnings into the economies of host societies. The remaining 15 per cent is sent back to communities of origin through remittances. In 2017, an estimated $596 billion was transferred in remittances globally, with $450 billion going to developing countries. Remittances add up to three times the total of official development assistance.” These are powerful statistics that reassert the hidden power that lay behind those that migrate, let’s keep this in mind as we turn to Australia.
Australia is the seventh in our series of top ten most accepting countries for those who migrate, according to the Gallup World Poll 2016-2017.
The United Nations Department of Economic and Social Affairs (UN DESA), state that in 2017 Australia was host to 7 million migrants, equating to 28.8% of the total population.
Educationally, the starting age of compulsory education varies from state to state with Kindergarten or Preparatory school beginning between 5/6 years. Primary and Secondary school lasts for a total of 12 years. Successful completion of a government-endorsed certificate in the final year of secondary school allows students entry into higher education and international higher-education institutions. According to the Australian Government Department of Jobs and Small Businesses, the top 5 growing industries are 1. Health care and social assistance, 2. Professional, scientific and technical services, 3. Construction, 4. Education and training and, 5. Accommodation and food services.
As the United Nations Secretary-General Antonio Guterres said, “In recent years, large movements of desperate people, including both migrants and refugees, have cast a shadow over the broader benefits of migration. It is time to reverse those trends, to recommit to protecting lives and rights of all migrants and to make migration work for all.” I couldn’t agree more.
Lesley Shepperson
Shepperson & Shepperson Consultants Ltd
www.sheppersonandshepperson.co.uk

Source: Lesley Shepperson / ANA-ZongoNews / info@zongonews.com